Friday, November 19, 2010

Mother Mary's Kick-Butt School of Tough Love

From my days as a Catholic school student, I always had Mary on my Rolodex of numbers to call. I remember celebrating her in May. I remember lots of flowers in the church, and a beautiful flower wreath was put on her statue. I've only had 2 rosaries in my life, my first rosary were these beautiful blue crystal beads, and my second rosary was for my birthstone (garnet in January). Since then, I have just one more, a lavender rosary from the Vatican. And who doesn't love Ave Maria?

It's clear that many people (Catholic, Christian, Muslim) feel a connection to the blessed mother. I cannot speak for all Catholics, but as I was growing up, my understanding of Mary is that she represented a gentle female spirit, full of kindness, peace, and calm. Her representations always showed a peaceful expression, looking down kindly with the most placid expression you can imagine.

So imagine my surprise when as a medium I picked up my relationship with her again and holy cow there is a lot more going on with her than this genteel mother-figure. I feel like I need to help people understand her better.



Make no mistake; Mother Mary is a force. She is fierce when she wants to be. She's not afraid to be stern, and I know from personal experience that she's not afraid to give a lecture if it's necessary. She also seems to take on the personality that we need at the moment. When we are lost and need comforting, she is comfort; when we are dragging our feet, being stubborn (*cough* ME *cough*) she's ready to do some butt-kicking.



And once I had this personal experience with her, I mean, come on, it makes sense. She had to watch her own son die. She was given the task of raising a boy to be a controversial man that many people would fear and hate. She appeared to many people through time (ie Saint Bernadette) with strong messages to deliver to the world. She has the heart of a lion.

First, I encourage you to develop your own relationship with Mary. It is a blessing to have her in your corner; she is truly an amazing, powerful energy. Second, I encourage you to let your relationship with the blessed mother be whatever it is: a stern teacher/willing student, a friend, a mother, etc.

Praying the Rosary or saying the Hail Mary is really the best way to invoke her in my own personal experience. I've been saying the Rosary daily for a while now, calling on her help with a few personal issues. While I can't say she fixes all my problems, I can say that I am stronger because of these daily prayers, and I believe her assistance helps me move forward.

If I was any kind of artist at all, I would make a rendition of Mary that is some kind of hybrid of the traditional images of Mary and Rosie the Riveter. She really is that strong.

















No comments:

Post a Comment