Monday, November 22, 2010

A Place for Peace

We all need a place that we can go to collect ourselves. It's a place where relaxation comes naturally, and whatever is going on with us, we find a way to calm inner peace. I have a few places:

1. Walking out in nature in general, in particular a park by my house
I go to the park nearly every day with my loyal dog Rocky. We sit on the bench together and I just sit and enjoy being among God's nature. Being in nature seems to have a way of speeding up my emotions. If I'm upset about something but haven't fully expressed it out loud or in my heart, being in nature brings it to the surface. I often have many personal revelations while sitting in the park. In fact, I've repeatedly said that I need to bring a pen and notebook out there.

2. National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows (Belleville, Illinois)
This shrine is near my hometown, about 40 minutes away from my parent's house. It is a beautiful piece of land with a gift shop, walking paths, an outdoor pavilion where they occasionally hold mass, and my favorite part, the grotto, which is a reproduction of the area where St. Bernadette met with Mother Mary in Lourdes, France.

I first came here as a young girl for Catholic events, and once I was older and could drive myself, I would come to the grotto when I felt like I needed some Blessed Mother intervention. Some days I wish it was still a short drive away, and whenever I'm home I try to swing by for a rosary session.

3. My Living Room Couch
Even though I have this nice little healing room space upstairs, I've ended up making my living room couch my main hub for prayers and meditation. Scattered around the couch, I have my rosary, cards, and books. My heat blanket is always draped over the couch, ready for another session. What can I say? It works.

Going back to these same places to collect my thoughts, meditate, and pray helps so much. The ritual of being in these places of peace help me relax more fully and connect with God. If you don't have one or two go-to spots, make an effort to pick some out and get your own ritual going.

No comments:

Post a Comment