Monday, September 20, 2010

The Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield

As I said before, I read many books on my blog hiatus, and this one is one worth sharing. First of all, don't be scared of the word "Buddhist." You don't need to be Buddhist to read this book, and you don't even need to know what Buddhism is. This book is about Buddhist psychology, meaning a Buddhist way to approach the mind. It is not an approach in conflict with any faith system at all.

Buddhist psychology is freedom. It instructs us on how to observe our thoughts (called mindfulness) in a way that helps us detach from our emotions. The end result is that instead of being a slave to our desires and feelings, we are able to observe them as they float by and are free of their imprisonment.

And yeah, it's harder to do than I'd like it to be.

The text is a bit overwhelming, and I'll admit that by 300 pages in, I had hit my limit on new information; however, I will be reading it again and again.

What more is there to say? It's fabulous, and if I was into gurus I would totally make Jack Kornfield my guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment