Monday, October 19, 2009

St. Bernadette

I first learned about St. Bernadette in second grade at St. Albert's Catholic School. I still remember our teacher Mrs. Lucarelli bringing in a video, and I was mesmerized. First of all, I think it was the first video we ever watched at school (watching TV at school! scandalous!); second, I was fascinated by St. Bernadette.

For those of you who might not know much about her, Bernadette Soubirous was a poor miller's daughter in Lourdes, France during the mid 1800's. At the age of 14, Mary began appearing to her with messages which included building a church on the site as well as tapping into a spring of water which would make miracles. In total, Mary appeared 18 times. Many people doubted it even happening since Bernadette was the only one who could see Mary. The Catholic church and many others thought that Bernadette was lying or that some work of witchcraft was going on. Eventually, her claims were confirmed. Bernadette became a nun and was canonized as a saint in 1933.

Up until even a year ago, I wasn't really sure why I was fascinated with this girl. She was from France and my dad is French; she is a girl and I'm a girl; she was a nun and I thought about being a nun; my name starts with B also; but that's where the similarities seemed to end. I chose Bernadette as my confirmation name, and it's always held a special place in my heart.

Now, with the work that I do, it makes perfect sense why I was attracted to Bernadette and her story. I can relate to her challenges in so many ways, and this weekend was a strong reminder of that.

So many, many people do not believe in me for various reasons:
  • Some do not believe anyone can have these gifts, and anyone who claims to is faking it.
  • Others think that these gifts are evil, scary, dangerous, etc.
  • People think I'm too young to have these gifts. This is perhaps the most puzzling to me because I don't understand the logic.
Lately, I've been really frustrated with these struggles. It is so heart-breaking when you have work that you want to do and people will not allow you to help them. So this morning I asked Bernadette to talk with me, and I thought maybe you'd like to hear what she said:
What did you do when no one believed that you actually were seeing, hearing, talking to Mary?
"It doesn't matter. It wasn't up to me to convince them. It was up to God and themselves to open their hearts. I was just the messenger."

What did you do when people said that what you were doing was blasphemous, strange, and evil?
"Who cares? No one can judge but God, and God knows I was visited by the Mother. God knows that I work for Him."

How did you feel when people said you were too young, too poor, too unimportant to be visited by Mother Mary?
"We are all children of God and we all have a mission. This was my mission from God, to carry out messages that Mary wanted me to deliver to the world. God chose me for a reason and it's my job to carry out his mission."

Do your lessons apply to me?
"Yes. What others may think is not of your concern. This is God's mission for you and you are to carry it out faithfully regardless of what people say or how they might react."

Can you help me with my work?
"I will do what I can, but you don't need my help. God chose you because you can handle the task you are given."

I began thanking her but she immediately flew straight back to heaven. The saints I have communicated with are very focused people in that their egos are completely non-existent. They recognize perfectly that they are God's workers in every way, and they won't even accept thanks! They always pass the thanks on to God, which I think is why she disappeared so quickly.

Do I think I'm as great as St. Bernadette? Um, no freaking way. Obviously, she has succeeded where I have not in letting go of ego. It's not my job to be concerned with whether or not people will open their hearts to the help that I can give. But she is such a beautiful model for me and I admire her so much. She is so courageous, so fearless, and stands in her convictions and her God-given power and does not worry about how people may react. I need to take a cue from her. Pronto.

I hope that you talk to the saints with whom you feel a special connection! They are always willing to help as long as your goal is to become a better human being and do God's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment