Monday, October 18, 2010

The Waiting Game

Isn't it interesting that sometimes one person consistently gives you the messages that you need to hear so badly? Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat, Pray, Love) always does that to me. Whether it's an interview, a book, a blurb in a magazine, I always finish an excerpt from her thinking, "Damn woman, you are right on."

Here's her two cents from Oprah magazine.

"People often underestimate the power of . . .
waiting a situation out. As I've gotten older, I've noticed there's a great deal of power in a pause. Sometimes we make problems worse by rushing to fix them."

Oh how I hate to wait! Whether it's waiting to finally book a trip, or waiting to hear news on a job, or just waiting to figure out what's next, the waiting makes my skin crawl. All of my concerns about whether or not I'm doing the right thing come out of the shadows when I'm standing still. I've incorrectly internalized the idea that waiting means something is wrong. And even though I've had experience to the contrary, I still hate to wait.

In 2007, I was convinced it was time to move back to my hometown near St. Louis, Missouri. I applied vigorously to teaching jobs, had a few interviews, and nothing worked out. I cried so much that spring, not understanding why I couldn't have this one little thing. What's wrong with wanting to be closer to family? What's wrong with wanting to help out my parents? What's wrong with going back to the place that I came from?

I didn't understand God's logic, and it didn't matter how hard I pushed; I was not getting a job.

It took me about 2 years to realize why that move would have charted a completely different course for me. In St. Louis, I would have quickly bought a house, probably had children relatively soon, and both of those decisions would have locked me in as a high school English teacher. I wouldn't have discovered Reiki, hypnotherapy, or met a truly powerful medium who helped me realize my own healing and psychic abilities.

But I didn't know this at the time.

So for all of you who are in a waiting game like I am right now, have the faith to wait it out. And then remind me of the same thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment