Friday, October 29, 2010

The Faces of God

Sometimes when I meet someone who has had a very strong religious (not spiritual, necessarily, but religious) background, they are uncertain of what to think about talking to angels or Jesus or Buddha. In a world where black and white understanding seems to make people feel safe, I think many people have a hard time imagining that the messages and lives of Jesus, Buddha, Moses, Muhammed, or any other great spiritual teacher can all be valid and correct at the same time.

But they are.

The best way I can explain it is to imagine that God is a large box. Each side of the box is a facet of God: one side is Buddha, another Jesus, another Muhammed, and so on. Yet the contents of the box is the same, although the outward appearance may seem different on each side. And so Jesus, Buddha, and other Godly figures are all the same.

Perhaps this is an oversimplification, but I think of each face of God as having a particular specialty. For me, Jesus is the greatest teacher of love and compassion, and when I need help understanding love, I call on Him. Buddha's mastery seems to be with the mind, and when I need help conquering the deceptive nature of our fearful and small-minded consciousness, I call upon Buddha. All of these messages are valid and important, and they've seemed to arrive in a "package" that reaches a particular group of people at a particular time when that message is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment