Monday, March 22, 2010

I Want, I Need, I Want


It seems like we are always being encouraged to ask for exactly what we want.

Please God, help me find a job.
Please angels, help me find love.


Or on some days, it's as simple as

God, let me get 8 hours of sleep tonight.

You see a lot of this same sentiment in the new agey and self help books. Ask for what you want. Make your intentions clear. Create a vision board. Yadda Yadda Yadda. But lately I've grown weary of being so, well, demanding. Of asking for so much all the time. Frankie Says Relax, right?

So last week, while I was walking Rocky on our daily trip to the park, I focused my mind on a list of thanks. It started slowly at first. Thanks for this beautiful park. Thanks for Rocky. But as I kept walking, the list of gratitude got longer and longer. From time to time, I felt tempted to turn the gratitude into a request.

Thank you for Rocky's health, and please continue to . . . Oops. I mean, thanks for Rocky's health. Period.

There's real beauty in loving something exactly the way it is right now. No hoping for it to be better tomorrow, no asking for improvement, but just recognizing how wonderful it is. Right now. It was a beautiful walk. Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment