Friday, December 24, 2010

My Favorite Christmas Songs

I actually don't have any CD's of Christmas songs. Well, except for Mariah Carey's Christmas CD which I bought in 1995 or something and is rattling around in my parents' house somewhere.

Anyway . . .

So I thought I'd share my Christmas song favorites. Depending on the year, I might be pining for Christmas as early as November 2nd and as late as December 10th (this year). I should also point out that the version of the song is just as important to me as what the song is. Not all versions are created equal! Who wants to hear 98 Degrees sing Silent Night? Not moi.

Here are my favorites, in no particular order:


"The Little Drummer Boy"
I really, really like the classic version. I looked high and low for it on YouTube but couldn't track it down. I love this song because I remember as a little girl really loving the story in the song. I imagined myself as the drummer boy playing for Jesus and thought about how amazing that would really be. I also to this day imagine that when it says "I played my best for him" that is a metaphor for my life. I do my best to make God proud. Yeah, that usually makes me cry. But what doesn't make me cry, right?

The Crosby/Bowie version is acceptable. I also like the Bob Seger version. This video is particularly fun because this house has their Christmas lights synched to the music. You'll just have to see it to see what I mean.




"O Holy Night"
Oh, man. This song can bring the crocodile tears out of me depending on my mood. Especially if it's Christmas Eve, maybe driving back from midnight mass or something. Whew. The key to a good version (for me) is the strength of the following lines:

Fall on your knees
Oh hear the angel voices


If the singer has a powerful voice at that point, that's usually when I lose it.

I couldn't find a version I really liked, but this version is pretty good.



"Gabriel's Message"

This song is haunting. They used to play it on the radio all the time when I was a kid, but now I pretty much never hear it. Give it up for YouTube! And Sting! I particularly really appreciate songs like this that actually take the written word and put it into music.




"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"
Andy Williams version. Is there any other version anyway?




"The Christmas Song"
Nat King Cole. This song is Christmas.



"White Christmas"
Bing Crosby.


"Baby It's Cold Outside"
I wish this version could be embedded! This is a clip from the movie "Elf." Super cute.


"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"


"Oh Santa!"
Dare I admit that I like this song? Oh, the embarrassment. Mariah, you got me again. The lyrics are so vapid, but I can't help it. It's so damn catchy.

1 comment: