Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Distraction Game

So on my daily walk yesterday, I took the rosary with me. I decided to multitask because it seems like sometimes when I let my mind wander, I may gravitate towards fears or worries that I have. I decided that if I was focused on prayer instead, then my mind wouldn't be able to focus on fear.

But of course, once I decided that, I was kind of mad at myself. Talking to myself, I said, "What's my problem? I meditate and pray for about 45 minutes a day, yet my mind is still easily taken over by fear or worry. Now I have to pray while I walk too? I'm such a failure."

I wasn't talking to anyone but myself, but all of the sudden Archangel Michael appeared and said, "Well, then it sounds like you need to pray some more." He had the most mischievous smile, too!

We seem to spend a lot of time beating ourselves up about our shortcomings, and it was so nice to have Michael say, "just pray more." It's really not bad advice. Rather than focusing on how hard it is to knock me off of my zen pedestal, I should just focus on what keeps me there--meditation and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment