Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Volcano

I was reading for someone the other day, and she was having quite the spending problem. She was cashing in her retirement savings to pay off her debts incurred from buying unnecessary things, and she wanted to get the behavior under control. "I think I've got it," she said. "I've just been buying too many clothes. I just need to stick with what I have."

When I read further and asked her guides, they said that her spending habits correlate directly to how supported she feels in her life. When she feels unsupported, her spending skyrockets.

We all do this very often. I eat too much because I just love food. I drink too much because I just love to be happy. I shop too much because I just love a good deal. But the reason we have trouble breaking these habits is because these things, these temptations, are not the problem. They are only a symptom of a bigger problem.

This is a common complaint of western medicine. Let's say you have an anxiety problem, and the doctor subscribes medication. Great. Now you don't have anxiety. But where is the anxiety coming from? Unless you figure that out, you will be popping pills for quite a while.

These subconscious worries manifest in all kinds of ways: compulsive behaviors, aches and pains, even serious illness. So how do we get to the bottom?

Meditation. Hypnotherapy. A reading? Maybe. There are many ways to discover what the underlying problem really is. In fact, the answer is within ourselves and all we need do to discover the answer is spend a little time with ourselves asking the big questions. Then just wait for the authentic answer to come rising out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment